Boost Your Immunity
With so many of us trying to stay healthy during the coronavirus crisis, this is a time to pay extra attention to what we eat and give maximum support to our immune systems. Here are some suggestions for things you can try.
- HERBAL TONICS — Many herbs are known to strengthen our immune systems, according to various natural healing regimens. Ginger and turmeric are two popular choices to reduce inflammation, according to the Ayurvedic tradition. Fresh is best! If you can get ginger and turmeric root in your grocery or health food store, chop them into small pieces and brew yourself a pot of tea, adding lemon and natural sweetener to your cup as you like. Or you can let us do the work for you! Try our Immune Boosting Tonic, served hot, with fresh lemon and ginger, licorice, pineapple, turmeric, black pepper and real maple syrup – delicious and energizing!
- JUICE-A-DAY — A daily fresh juice is a great way to give your body concentrated nutrition that is easily absorbed by your system, in addition to whatever supplements you may be taking. Our Detox Juice, made with beets, carrots, apple, celery, ginger and lemon, is formulated to keep liver function strong, essential for good immunity. Many of our juices are also high in Vitamin C, another key ingredient for our immune system. Juices are an excellent way to alkalize the pH of our system, which has many positive benefits for our immunity and overall health. It is great if you can buy your own home juicer — if you have a few extra minutes to prep the vegetables and clean up and are able to stock the quantities of produce needed. But we are always here to serve you a healthy juice as an easy option!
- GO SUGAR-FREE — If you feel the need for a treat in these stressful times – and who doesn’t? — you don’t have to resort to junk food snacks. Eating sugar is known to increase inflammation in the body and reduce immunity – and for many people who are sensitive to gluten, the same goes for wheat. We offer scrumptious, natural treats — including the super-healthy Goji Cacao Balls and Fig & Walnut Balls, plus our Raw Tiramisu and Raw Cheesecake. All are raw, gluten-free, and sweetened without sugar.
- REDUCE STRESS — What we eat has a big impact on our immunity, but so does what we think and feel! At this time of anxiety and uncertainty, stress is a major factor that can undermine our health. When we feel stressed, the immune system’s ability to fight off antigens, such as bacteria and viruses, is reduced, and we are more susceptible to infections.
- GET MOVING — Regular exercise is one of the best ways to reduce stress and boost our immune system. These days, when we can’t get to a gym but many of us are itching to get out of the house, running in an uncrowded area is a simple and energizing solution. Sri Chinmoy, the inspiration behind our Panorama Café, encouraged everyone to run regularly if they could, and he himself ran over 20 marathons. “Running makes the body young,” he said, and it also brings dynamism and a progressive energy into our lives. Some studies show that even moderate intensity exercise like walking a half-hour every day may cut down the number of colds that we get, by generating higher numbers of white blood cells. Whatever form of exercise we choose, whether it is running or walking, or maybe yoga or weight workouts, we can use that time to breathe deeply and release all our stress.
- TRY MEDITATION – Another excellent way to reduce stress that many people are turning to in these high-anxiety times is the practice of daily meditation. We can quiet our thoughts by focusing on one thing – like our breath, or a candle flame or flower, or a mantra, or an image from nature. This allows us to go deeper inside ourselves to access the peace and happiness we all have within. Here are two guided meditation exercises, adapted from Sri Chinmoy’s teachings, that you can click and try.
- This is a four-minute visualization exercise focusing on the vast sky.
- We will offer you a number of different meditation techniques over the months ahead. We hope they bring you peace!
- Our delicious and healthy food and drinks are available for Take Out, Curbside Pick-up and Contactless Delivery, 7 days a week, 8am-3pm. You can call us at (718) 206-4960 to place your order.
Stay healthy and happy!
Your Panorama Team
“Make healthy choices.
Perfection will be yours.” – Sri Chinmoy